Texas Wesleyan University was founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1890.
A committee under the direction of Bishop Joseph S. Key explored locations for a campus and settled on a site east of Fort Worth donated by area pioneers, A.S. Hall, W.D. Hall, and George Tandy. Originally called Polytechnic College — which literally means "many arts and sciences" — the school held its first classes in September 1891, with a handful of faculty members and 111 students.
In 1902, H.A. Boaz assumed the presidency and managed a period of moderate growth. He conceived the idea of a new university for Southern Methodism and planned to develop Polytechnic College into that university.
From a Women's College to Co-ed
When Dallas was selected by the church leaders as the site for Southern Methodist University, the Polytechnic campus was designated the Woman’s College for Southern Methodism, eventually becoming Texas Woman’s College in 1914.
Young women from around Texas and the Southwest attended Texas Woman’s College as it developed into a major force in North Texas. However, faced with dwindling resources during the Depression, trustees voted to close the school in 1931.
A merger with the financially secure Texas Wesleyan Academy in Austin kept the doors open and created the new institution of Texas Wesleyan College in 1935. Men were readmitted that same year.
FOR MORE DETAILS PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW: